My Research Subculture - Nursing Homes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In-depth research about the nursing home subculture.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Gallery
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse Empty
Latest topics
» Letters of Gratitude
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 am by Markku

» Choosing A nursing Home
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:40 pm by Markku

» A place for Mom
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:38 pm by Markku

» Nursing homes: A tribute
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:36 pm by Markku

» Pain Management
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:24 pm by Markku

» Nursing homes: Making the right choice
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:22 pm by Markku

» Dying from Dementia
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:19 pm by Markku

» Career Profile of an Independent Nurse
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm by Markku

» Final Project: Long Essay
Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:49 pm by Markku

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Credits
so distant
that it's
cruel.
!!
so the idea of building this forum site is © my English 102 class and especially to Ms. Cristin Bobee my class instructor. while the topics, it's themes, names/words on banner and what the discussion is mainly about is © Nursing Home subculture. forum site conceptualization is © to Markku. all articles/video posts are © the respective owners from source websites and to my work place Star Manor of Northville (Michigan), as well as all those images and videos such as the little icons out there and ofcourse the forum design is © to Markku!! oh! and even ideas are © their respective owners, don't forget about that! this whole forum is © forumotion.net, since they host this place so give 'em some love!

Career Profile of an Independent Nurse

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Markku
Admin
Markku

Career Profile of an Independent Nurse Empty
PostSubject: Career Profile of an Independent Nurse   Career Profile of an Independent Nurse I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm

[from Academic OneFile]

Catherine Mason, Grimsby, Lincolnshire.

Why did you become a nurse?

I wanted to make a difference to people's lives. I feel passionate about ensuring everyone gets decent care and respect.

How has your career developed since you started nursing?

Initially, I worked in a nursing home, on nights, looking after geriatric patients. I had a young family and a child with autism so this fitted in with family life.

Once my children started school, I was keen to develop my skills: I enrolled at Humberside University taking an HND in social care and then an Adult Education Certificate.

The position of matron came up at Wintringham, a state secondary school in Grimsby, in 1998. Since then, the school has become one of the government's designated sport and health academies, and my role has grown dramatically.

What does your current role entail?

As health, welfare and child protection co-ordinator at Oasis Wintringham, I deal with the pupils' health and welfare concerns, providing health clinics; health promotion; advice on contraception and smoking cessation; first aid and much more.

I teach in the classrooms and, with the rest of the academy staff, plan programs of support to address health concerns. I work with outside agencies to support our school community and deal with child protection concerns.

I am training other schools and agencies in some of the strategies we have found useful.

What are the best and worst parts of your job?

Sometimes you become emotionally attached to the people you deal with, which can be difficult. You may have to make decisions you feel uncomfortable with; however interaction with students is very valuable.

The fact that they come forward for support, if you respect their wishes, is rewarding. My favourite part of the job is working in the classroom with the staff and the students within the academy. We have gained mutual respect.

How do you see your role developing?

I am working with the local council to develop and provide packages of support to schools within north-east Lincolnshire.

As an academy, we have been trying to engage with the hard-to-reach students. They are the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We have set up some alternative provisions and I am looking forward to working with staff and the students at these establishments.

If you weren't a nurse, what would you be?

Maybe a teacher, but I feel their role is undervalued, exhausting and challenging.

What would you do if you were health secretary?

Find out what people want. I would love to take the health secretary around some of the homes and families we deal with. Is it right that because of a postcode your health is at risk? Resources are unequally distributed. I had to go to Essex to have my son diagnosed with autism.

Access to good-quality healthcare should be available to all.

Fact file

Job title: Health, welfare and child protection co-ordinator

Location: Oasis Academy Wintringham, Grimsby, north-east Lincolnshire

Qualifications: RN

--------------------

Source Citation
"Independent Nurse: Professional Workplace - Career profile." GP 15 Feb. 2010: 49. Academic OneFile. Web. 19 Apr. 2010.
Back to top Go down
https://marksearches.board-directory.net

Career Profile of an Independent Nurse
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
My Research Subculture - Nursing Homes :: Research :: My Research-
Jump to: